Sunday, May 13, 2012


It was the most dramatic, unbelievable and extraordinary finish of the English Premier League.

In the end, Roberto Mancini and Manchester City celebrates non-stop till morning and Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United, cried all night long.

Manchester City won their first English league title in 44 years on Sunday, 13th May 2012 as they scored twice in injury time to beat Queens Park Rangers 3-2, edging out Manchester United on goal difference.

United thought they had won a record 20th title when they won 1-0 at Sunderland but Edin Dzeko and Sergio Aguero scored in the five minutes added on as City came from 2-1 down to snatch victory and their first English crown since 1968.

It was the most dramatic finish in Premier League history as big-spending City took the title from neighbours and rivals United.

City led on goal difference going into the final day but when they trailed 2-1 at home by 10-man Queens Park Rangers, it looked as if their dreams were evaporating.

But Dzeko equalised in the first of five minutes of injury time and then Aguero sent the City fans wild with a brilliant winner from short range just over a minute from the end.

Aguero's winner meant that Wayne Rooney's 20th-minute goal for United in their 1-0 win at Sunderland was not enough.

With Bolton drawing 2-2 at Stoke, the results meant that they joined Wolves and Blackburn Rovers in being relegated while QPR survived.

City began the day leading on goal difference, knowing they just needed to match United's result to win the league for the first time in 44 years.

When a goalkeeping error handed Pablo Zabaleta the opening goal on 39 minutes, they were on track but a terrible mistake from Joleon Lescott allowed Djibril Cisse to equalise three minutes into the second half.

City's chances were boosted again when Joey Barton was sent off for an off-the-ball incident involving Carlos Tevez, lashing out at Aguero as well after receiving his red card.

But as City chased the winner, they were undone by more slack defending as unmarked Jamie Mackie headed in for QPR on 66 minutes.

As City threw everything at QPR, manager Roberto Mancini brought on Mario Balotelli for Tevez with 15 minutes to go.

The Italian headed a chance to equalise straight at Paddy Kenny but Edin Dzeko gave them hope when he headed in a David Silva corner in the first minute of injury time.

And with the seconds ticking down, Aguero kept his head in the box to fire in the winner - and City fans, many of them crying, poured onto the field as the final whistle sounded over the third title overall, following 1937 and 1968.

In the battle for the two remaining Champions League places, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur finished third and fourth after respective wins on the final day.

Arsenal came from 2-1 down to win 3-2 at West Brom to finish third, while Tottenham's 2-0 win over Fulham left them fourth.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...