Thursday, June 25, 2009
In Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Peter Pang and his family have put themselves on home quarantine after his son, who returned to Sandakan from Melbourne, was confirmed to be the state’s second Influenza A( H1N1) case.
“As responsible citizens, Datuk Pang and his family have taken the immediate step to quarantine themselves as a precaution,” his political secretary Jason Tan said.
Pang, his wife and two daughters are in self isolation after Pang’s 17-year-old son was confirmed by Health authorities on Jun 24 to have been infected and put in the isolation ward of the Duchess of Kent Hospital here.
Tan said that Pang’s son condition was stable.
Pang, who is state Youth and Sports Minister, was scheduled to launch the state level students’ forum competition at SM Tshung Tsin Thursday but was represented by state Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun.
Sabah’s first case of A(H1N1) involved a 15-year-old girl here who was discharged from the Linghzi quarantine centre here last Friday after a week of anti-viral treatment.
The girl was studying in the United States and had returned to Kota Kinabalu via a MAS flight from Hong Kong on June 13.
Pang is the assemblyman for Karamunting, he contested for the first time in an election in last year March 2008 general election.
After winnig the seat,Pang was appointed Minister of Youth and Sports.
On May 2009, Pang was appointed as Deputy Chief Minister for the Chinese community quota, replacing Datuk Raymond Tan Shu Kiah who was partyless but later joined Gerakan - a Penisular Malaysia based party.
Source - The Star Online