Monday, December 28, 2009

Second Scare onboard Detroit flight from Amsterdam, caused by another Nigerian

Second scare on Detroit flight rattles passengers.

Well, it was exactly the same script. In those 2 incidents in a space of 2 days during festive mood, the affected flights were travelling from Amsterdam to Detroit, USA.

The culprits in those 2 incidents are both Nigerians...!!!!

And both have Yemeni connections.

The first incident happened on Christmas Day where a Nigerian evil man by the name of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, tried to blow up a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

This arsehole said he was following orders from Al Qaeda operatives in Yemen.

Now, the 2nd incident involved yet another Nigerian working as Petroleum engineer in Yemen and also travelling from Amsterdam to Detroit. It happened just 2 days after a failed bomb-attack by that another Nigerian.

Read the rest of the story below by The Detroit News :

Romulus -- About 48 hours after officials responded to an attempted terrorist act on Christmas Day, a disruptive passenger was detained Sunday on the same Amsterdam to Detroit flight -- sparking fear, panic and serious delays at Detroit Metro Airport.

Although the FBI and airport officials said the incident was "non-serious" and an all-clear was issued, it raised already-soaring tensions among holiday travelers worried about their safety and authorities working to review security measures.

The flight sat on the tarmac for several hours.

"We were all scared," said Denise Kabalka-Chesnui, a 49-year-old engineer from Romeo, who was returning from business in Paris. "We didn't know what was going on."

Before Flight 253 landed at Detroit Metropolitan Airport about 12:35 p.m. Sunday, Northwest Airlines alerted the Transportation Security Administration to a disruptive passenger.

A pilot requested emergency help, according to a Metro Airport spokesman. The plane then taxied to "an isolated inspection area as a precaution," airport officials said in a statement.

Delta Air Lines, which operated the flight, said in a statement that a passenger became "verbally disruptive in flight and, out of an abundance of caution, the flight crew requested authorities meet the aircraft upon landing."

Despite the government's decision after the attempted Friday attack to mobilize more air marshals, no marshal was on the Sunday flight, according to a government report.

FBI Special Agent Sandra Berchtold said the Joint Terrorism Task Force responded to the flight after "a passenger spent a lengthy time in the restroom."

But investigation showed "this was a non-serious incident."

According to ABC News reports, authorities said the passenger was a 36-year-old Nigerian petroleum engineer who became unhappy when he was ordered to his seat one hour before landing, as required under new in-flight rules.

The passenger supervises 90 employees at the multinational petroleum company he works for in Yemen.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement that the president was notified shortly after 9 a.m. Hawaiian time of the latest incident by Denis McDonough, chief of staff of the National Security Council.

"The president stressed the importance of maintaining heightened security measures for all air travel and gave instructions to set up another secure teleconference briefing as soon as possible," Burton said.

Sara Kuban, press secretary for the Department of Homeland Security, said the passenger was removed from the flight, and interviewed by the FBI.

He was released after indications showed the individual's behavior was due to "legitimate illness," Kuban said.

Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano said the man had made several trips to the restroom, and would not respond to requests to come out.

"Of course, there's a real heightened sensitivity to things like this," Ficano said.

The aircraft was fully screened and all baggage was rescreened before the aircraft taxied to the gate, Kuban said.

Passengers were bused to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection area for processing, airport officials said.

Spokeswoman Susan Chana Elliott said 254 passengers and 12 crew members were on board.

Another Nigerian native, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, has been charged with 20-year felonies after officials said he tried to detonate explosives attached to his body and started a fire Christmas Day on board Flight 253 as it approached Metro Airport.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...