Monday, May 27, 2013

All a child needs is love and affection

Source - The Star Online



Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the one I have. I was brought up in an average family. Although I never had many luxuries in life, I had all the basic necessities for survival.

Most people would say I am lucky compared with many other people. I never demanded any material things from my parents. All I asked for was love, respect and some self-sacrifice for the betterment of the next generation.

Instead, I would come back to incessant insults of my stupidity, psychological abuse and discouragement in life. My mother left my father and my stepmother is the same as my father. As they say, “birds of a feather, flock together”.

Now, I am a successful engineer with my own happy family and all the material things I need and want. I cannot be bothered to go back and visit, even though they live less than 10 minutes’ drive away.

I know there are irresponsible people who abandon their loving parents and these people are despicable. More often than not, I have seen that most old folks who have been abandoned have another side to the story.

Irresponsible men who abandoned the family and gambled their salaries away, and parents who abused their children, either physically, emotionally or mentally.

Let this be a warning to all parents. Do not think that providing a roof, food, clothing, mobile phone and a Playstation is enough. Sometimes, all a child needs is some love and attention even though their physical life is lacking.

A child will always forget that he was once hungry but will never forget that he never had a sweet childhood and love from his parents.

Now, I swear to my child that no matter how tired I am, I will always help with his lessons, play with him, love him, encourage him to be the best that he can be in life, and help him to the extent that I can afford to.

I swear to be a good father to my son, the kind of father that I never had. I will never force him or remind him to take care of me when I am old and whithered.

My child owes me nothing. He did not ask to be born into this world as my child. The burden shall never be on my child.

To all parents out there, it is time you realise this. Your child is not your insurance policy. It is your responsibility.

If my child takes me in when I am old, I would be grateful. Maybe then, I would have done something right in this world before I leave.

Chhers to all children in the world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
TopOfBlogs