Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mass brawl in Singapore league

We are used to seeing football matches turn into wrestling or kungfu and karate fights!!

These shame and unsportmanship acts happened if players could not control their emotions..

Come on.. if you win you win.. and if you lose, you lose. No hard feelings. Even the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona accept defeat gacefully and gentlemanly.

In Singapore, we were shocked to learn of a mass brawl

On Monday 23rd May 2011, Singapore champions Etoile F.C. and Houngang United have been suspended from the top-flight S.League after an all-in brawl caused their fixture to be scrapped before even kick-off.

Local media reported that the brawl was sparked by a minor altercation while the teams warmed up at Hougang’s stadium and swiftly developed.

Four people were treated at hospital for minor injuries, Singapore’s Straits Times newspaper reported.

Both teams were quick to condemn such behaviour and were conducting their own probes into what had happened.

A disciplinary hearing has been scheduled for June 3 and matches involving either of the two clubs have been suspended.

“We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to violent conduct both on and off the pitch,” Singapore Football Association (FAS) President Zainudin Nordin said.

“FAS has started investigations and will pursue the matter thoroughly. Any players and officials found guilty of misconduct will be severely dealt with.”

“I am very, very angry to see such incidents happen. Any player found guilty of violent conduct will be punished very heavily and the club will be the first to take action,” Etoile chairman Johan Gouttefangeas said.

This mass brawl is not the first in Singaporean football.

In September 2010, players from the Young Lions and Beijing Guoan, brawled in a free for all kungfu and karate match, one minute before the end of regulation time when the score was tied 1-1.

The S.League encounter was eventually abandoned by referee Zaid Hussein who had seen enough and couldn't control the wild situation.

After the melee, Young Lions' Faritz Abdul Hameed (head injury), Gabriel Quak (arm) and Nazrul Ahmad Nazari (knee) were all discharged from hospital after observation.

Team manager Eugene Loo, who received a kick in the back, said: "Incidents like these are unacceptable. The players are remorseful for their actions and are apologetic."

The benches of both teams cleared in the free-for-all, with officials and substitutes running onto the field.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...